Wednesday, October 22, 2014

What's in the Promised Land?

We finally arrived at Promised Land State Park (a 3,000 acre state park surrounded by the Delaware State Forest) on Monday 10/13. The promised land was named as a sarcastic reference to the rugged terrain that was advertised or "promised to be" wonderful farming land and opportunity, but on the contrary they found it was dense and rocky and unsuitable for farming anything. Maybe for goats? Or humans that trudge up and down rocky hills for enjoyment?  

As we began to set up camp, and I noticed a few wasps outside the window of the camper, no big deal, I don't mind the bees as long as they stay outside but, within minutes the camper was full of wasps from a ground nest located at the base of a pine right next to us.  We waited for a bit to see if they would settle down but when the number of wasps swelled by the second we pretty much bolted to the Ranger Station to get a new site, which was an easy move next door. So we just vacuumed up the wasps, and breathed a sigh of relief until...we were invaded by Asian Beetle bugs. As I recall (from having a heavy infestation back in Baraboo one year) these beetles love the warmth of a white exterior and since Max is mostly white these little buggers latched on to our camper and into every crevice like a squirrel on a corn cob.  I would open the front door of the cab and sweep hundreds of them out of the door frame.  ICK! And 5 days later in Virginia we are still sucking them up in the vacuum! Why doesn't this ever happen with say butterflies? But I think Doug is enjoying the hunt as he calls out to them, "come try out for swim team" (in a cup of soapy water).  
Bugs aside, this was one of the most picturesque campsites, absolutely no noise since it was way out in the boonies, with immaculate amenities.  The bathhouse was brand new with several showers were we could take LONG HOT showers, and there was even a washer and dryer. This was our lovely view from the camper. And since it is now late in the fall and we were here during the week we just about had the park to ourselves. 
View from Max.
Closer view of the lake.

Found loads of cute little cabins along the shore of Lake Promised Land (lovely sand beaches) and figure there must be regulations about the size of lake homes since they were all about the same exact size, about 800-1000 Square feet, and all built around the 50's and 60's. As we wound the bend of our bike journey we came across an yard sale oddity.  An old church with junk littered all over outside, and a limo with classical music blaring from it.  Inside the church the pews with filled with junk,, no organization, not even folded or in the box or laying together.  In the center was a grand piano with a wine bottle on the side that looked like it was just opened.  Chickens and turkeys roamed the backyard and the owner was a mix of Liberace and Jed Clampet (couldn't get a picture of owner since he was flitting all over the place and was too creeped out inside to take photos).
 The sign said it was a yard sale...or a way to lure you into the bowels of the creepy church. Glad I made it out!
Oh yeah, girls I found the perfect thing for you each for Christmas, bet you can't wait!
Woke up to beautiful sunshine on Tuesday and headed to the little town of Hawley just up the road.  Stopped at a Napa Auto Parts store to get a bulb for Max and realized we weren't in WI anymore by the crappy customer service. 

Store lady (not looking at us): Can I help you (in a raspy voice so low and crackly I thought I saw little puffs of smoke pour out as she spoke)?
Doug: Do you have an LED equivalent to this bulb?
Store lady (never making eye contact but shaking her head back and forth): Nah, we 'aint got nuthin' like that here. (And she walked away in a hunched ogre limp and I thought a trap door was going to open up and she'd disappear into it...)

The WI scenario:
Store lady: Can I help you (in a sing song tone as tiny Green Bay Packer football earrings encrusted with Swarovski crystals sparkle in the light and her green and gold nails sprout in the air like artificial flowers on a grave, flipping her wispy feathered bangs aside)?
Doug: Do you have an LED equivalent to this bulb?
Store lady: Well, no I don't think so but let me check in the bulb aisle.  I'll also call Gary our store manager and see if he knows.  I think I heard Bob talk about getting those new fangled bulbs over at Fleet Farm. Fleet Farm is getting all of the new stuff, even the Toyland display for the holidays, have you ever shopped for toys there?  One year I got the Barbie Jeep for my daughter and it was on sale for $99. My mother always buys the kids way too many toys so I decided that this year it will be one toy from the Toyland for Madison and Dakota and that's it. But I might splurge on the compound bow with beer holder and attached jerky maker for my hubby. The Fleet Farm is down the road across from the Walmart. Just a minute let me draw you a map and show you how to get to there.  

Ahhhh, but we're not in WI anymore.

After the small town tour we hiked over on a little island we could view from our campsite.  It was long enough for a half hour walk over lots of rocks.  
Should we go for island living here?

We were limited to hikes in the State Park since the hunt was still on to find Eric Fein, who shot and killed a State Trooper and wounded another, the search especially hot and heavy right in our area. Apparently someone spotted a person with mud all over carrying a rifle in the Candesis area which was 5 miles directly south of our campground.  On the ways to Stroudsburg, one rainy day of our trip, we spied dozens of police SUV's, cars, and command units littered up and down the road--guess we'll have to be mindful of not speeding here.  

The trails in the State Park were plentiful though, and many gave us a run for our money in the ankle stability department.  Rock is abundant, in all shapes and sizes.
Just a minute while I roll this outta the way....
Rocks here on the side....
Rocks in the middle...
Then rocks and wood....
Finally lined with something nice...Rhododendrons!
Some bike trails were smooth...for about 10 feet, then really full of rocks.  (Doug loved it)

But the best hike was at the Pocono's Environmental Education Center where we found beautiful falls and challenging trails. 
I like to stay dry...
Doug likes to jump in! Kidding!
Love the sound of the waterfall. 

Forward, as the saying goes in Wisconsin.  We head out on Friday and along the way pass...OMG, the scariest book I ever read while I was babysitting:

So we zoom on by for another dry camp at Walmart near Valley Forge in a little town called King of Prussia!  Walmart in King of Prussia might be like eating cheese balls at the White House State dinner!




No comments:

Post a Comment