The clock is just a bit of interactive artwork hanging on the wall of Lake Champlain.
It's about 12 o'clock! Better wind it up again.
How it all works--probably can't read from this photo but the center of the earth clock reads the hour when you stand in the middle and locate your shadow, the outer rocks then depict the season (solstice) by reading what time the sun will rise and set. Simple, huh!
We then headed back to Burlington to have lunch at a local bakery/deli called August First. It had one of those great garage door openings on the side of the building to make you feel like you're eating outside. I've seen this before but for some reason this venue made me think it might be a fabulous addition to a house to just roll up the door and the living room would be open to the outside. In our household however, I'm confident Doug would haul in various motorized machines and defend their purpose as accent tables.
About halfway through lunch a black Tahoe rolled up and out slithered a guy in dark glasses pretending not to be seen as the two passengers paraded out to purchase lunch. We found out later after seeing some of the political ads that the tall guy was Peter Shumlin, governor of Vermont, and the young attendee was his assistant. Decided not to get a picture lest we incur the wrath of the dark glasses but this is from the web:
Aside from the great sandwiches, the bakery was tantalizing us with mouthwatering bakery smells, the kind that make me hungry no matter how much I've had for lunch. I don't as a whole talk about my food, or photograph it (but I guess I've now started since I photoed our cottage pie...OMG, what's happening to me, I'm talking about my food, next conversation topic down the road...body functions, EEK), but after my ham and brie sandwich with cranberries and raspberry preserves, we shared (yes it was hard to share) an apple turnover I'd be willing to trade my Dove carmel chocolates for.
About halfway through lunch a black Tahoe rolled up and out slithered a guy in dark glasses pretending not to be seen as the two passengers paraded out to purchase lunch. We found out later after seeing some of the political ads that the tall guy was Peter Shumlin, governor of Vermont, and the young attendee was his assistant. Decided not to get a picture lest we incur the wrath of the dark glasses but this is from the web:
Aside from the great sandwiches, the bakery was tantalizing us with mouthwatering bakery smells, the kind that make me hungry no matter how much I've had for lunch. I don't as a whole talk about my food, or photograph it (but I guess I've now started since I photoed our cottage pie...OMG, what's happening to me, I'm talking about my food, next conversation topic down the road...body functions, EEK), but after my ham and brie sandwich with cranberries and raspberry preserves, we shared (yes it was hard to share) an apple turnover I'd be willing to trade my Dove carmel chocolates for.
Once fueled up again with great food, we headed north on the trail and discovered a causeway (former railroad) that connects Lake Champlain to the Grand Isle by way of bike ferry.
The causeway was built at the turn of the century atop giant marble boulders (not sure how long it took to finish the railroad bed but I imagine it wasn't a 4 week project). The causeway trail extends for 2.5 miles right across Lake Champlain, connecting to the Burlington bikeway on the South and Grand Isle to the north.
Unfortunately, the bike ferry only runs on the weekend so we plan to return this weekend to take the final voyage before the ferry closes for winter after the weekend. Traveling over the massive piles of rock its hard to imagine the horses and men hauling these marble boulders and dumping them into the lake little by little for over 2 miles. The small shards of marble inspired creative cairn building by the side of the trail so of course we had to add to them. Just a smattering of the artistic endeavors:
End of the line...for today.
These paths are marked for happy trails.



No comments:
Post a Comment